Wednesday, June 10, 2009

God Bless Dr. Ramiz


I have just finished watching "Hasan & Murkos" of Adel Imam and Omar Sharif , and regardless of all the mis-shaped ideas especially concerning women , but I find this movie one of the most brave movies in arabian cenima. The matter of actually uttering the word "Muslim" or " Christian" in our arab religious societies is considered "case sensitive". Its something conveyed to us generation after generation without even explaining it in words.
I have lived very nice relations with very nice christian friends whom I love more than myself (Sadoof and Hanan especially) but to be honest: the fastest way to get everyone in the room to be uncomfortable is talking about religion... so this is why everywhere you go its avoided. I do it , everyone I know does it and my question is why? If am not planning to make anyone convert and no-one is planning to convert me then why should this conversation be as hard is it ?
For now I cant find any better answer than what Dr.Ramiz has once told his students about his father few months before his death .By that time the father said that he has concerns about his religion, but still he died without acting on those concerns. Dr Ramiz says "we arabs find religion - whatever our religion is- something incredibely connected with our deepest feelings no matter how often we practice it .. its something that we cant talk about , we cant explain , we cherish and we dont discuss.. this is why Islam spreads in USA and Europe doubles and triples more than it does in the east" ...
So: I am moving to Japan : )

No comments: