Saturday, February 15, 2014

Resistance


If I had seen this shot, taken anywhere else in the world, I would have said that it is pointless rhetoric that does not change the reality one inch. 

Although I always have believed in arts (literature, music, painting, sculpture, theater, cinema etc etc) but I never believed in the artistic initiatives that were presented under the definition of "acts of resistance''. To me they seemed like initiatives of spoiled kids who have nothing better to offer. 

But this, in Al-Yarmouk Refugee Camp in Damascus, this is different. It's just a sign that life has not stopped. In one of the most catastrophic sites of the world today, standing there with a violin and a piano you mock the slaughterer and that on its own is a pure act of resistance.  

No comments: